Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Car" Camping

I admit it. I love camping. And when I say "camping", I expect the whole world to know I'm talking about what others might refer to as "car camping." I've heard rumors about this so-called camping where you heft a backpack for miles, forego showering for days or weeks and cook all food over an open fire. Give me a Jeep stuffed full of camping stoves, bulky sleeping bags, gallons of milk, kites, air matresses, buckets of food and kids' bicycles. Give me a campground with groomed sites, a nice heavy picnic table, grimy coin-operated showers and toilets accessible round the clock. I am a happy car camper.

This past weekend we dragged our friends, the Johnson's, along for a wild, kid-infested weekend at Ocean Shores, a campground visited by both Brian and I as kids. Check out the Johnson's blog to follow their amazing journey to their adopted baby girl in China. Thank you, Samuel, for providing my favorite moment of the weekend. It wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't stood at the edge of our campsite holding a shovel in the air and growling at our neighbors.

Take note, readers. Today is the epic day I will attempt a Got Injera first: a slide show chronicling our sandy weekend.



A few thoughts about the weekend highlighted in the pictures:
* It took Ernie virtually no time to jump right into the ocean. He had this sort of innate drive to then roll in the sand on the way back to the campsite.
*Smores are yummy. Save the dark chocolate for the moms and dads.
*Digging a big hole in the sand equals hours of entertainment.
*Flexing your muscles does sometimes look like the chicken dance, if you do it like we do it in our house.
*Superhero underware substitutes nicely for pants.
*Camping in the rain is no fun. I highly recommend packing up BEFORE it starts raining.

2 comments:

Steve n Coco said...

AWW! Great pictures! Thanks for the fun weekend!! We just had such a great time and really look forward to the day when our WHOLE families are complete (whenever that will be...) and we have a HUGE gathering with nine or more children running around. Whoa, maybe not. In the meantime, let's do it again soon!
The Johnson fam

The Taylor Family said...

We LOVE care camping, too! Is there any other way? :) Loved seeing the kiddos in their P.J.s, just hanging out at the campground. So relaxing!

The picture of Ana and your son in the side-by-side car seats is precious. What great smiles!